Greek Islands Bread Pudding
Currant-filled whole wheat pitas add a Greek flair to this unusual orange-scented bread pudding
- 1 medium orange
- 1-1/2 cups light soy milk or evaporated skim milk
- 1-1/2 cups lowfat (1%) milk
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 5 tablespoons honey, divided
- 3 whole wheat pita breads
- 10 tablespoons dried currants, divided
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1-1/2 cups Egg Beaters® Original (1-1/2 cups = 12 oz)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Peel orange being careful not to break segments. Pull or trim away excess pith from peel; discard pith. Cover orange sections; set aside. Place peel in medium saucepan. Add soy milk, low-fat milk, rosemary and 3 tablespoons of the honey; cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spray 2-1/2 quart deep, round baking dish with cooking spray while heating milk. Cut the edge of each pita about two inches, then fill each with 3 tablespoons of the currants. Stack pitas on top of each other; cut the stack into 6 wedges. Arrange the stacked wedges in a circle around baking dish. If any currants fall out, add to dish.
- Strain milk mixture into separate medium bowl; discard rosemary and orange peel. Whisk Egg Beaters, vanilla and cinnamon into milk mixture until blended. Pour over pita wedges. Let stand 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut reserved orange into sections by cutting between membrane; cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle almonds over dish, then drizzle with 1 more tablespoon of the honey. Bake 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve each stacked wedge warm or at room temperature topped with the remaining honey and remaining currants. Place a few orange sections to the side.
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat||3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat||1 g||4%|
|Dietary fiber||5 g||19%|
About our Nutrition Information
You have successfully submitted your rating and review for this recipe. Please note that it might take up to 72 hours for your review to appear on our site.